Reflections on the Water: Outward Bound Veteran Expeditions

Hey Everyone,

June time is coming to a close and I just finished my first two Outward Bound courses. My first week- long course was instructing U.S. War Veterans. Outward Bound and the Sierra Club have teamed up to provide Outward Bound courses for recent and still active veteran service people.

Please click the above title to read an article about the course I instructed along the Deschutes River. One of the women on the course wrote an article for the military.

I conducted a lesson on grief and rivers based on a past lesson I teach for students, my very tight personal experience with rivers and ideas given too me by my studies at the Wilderness Awareness School this past year. It went over well and I am happy to see it made a profound impact on these wonderful people's lives.

Next time you see one of these people. Please tell them thanks for the job they do and go out of your way to provide them with authentic comfort and support. Whether an advocate for war or peace or somewhere in between these are incredible people. They are potentially dealing with lots of hardships on many levels that we cannot always understand, but we can be a shoulder to lean on or a set of ears that listen with compassion (Outward Bound's highest value).

Click the title to read the article!




My update:

I am off to the Alaskan Rain forest (Seward, AK. Kenai Peninsula) tomorrow to instruct a 22-day Sea Kayak- Mountaineering Course. My hope is to see marine life I have never seen before. I am excited to camp near calving glaciers, fish for salmon, eat huckleberries, and watch bears roam about. I will be there for a little over a month and then back to OR. and up to Washington to help run an Outdoor Earthen Oven Building Workshop http://www.firespeaking.com/?p=645. Enrollement is low. Hopefully people will sign up as it will be a very well-done program.

Hope everyone is having a relaxing and fulfilling summer.

Comments

Popular Posts